In Loving Memory of my Grandma Reva Barney Wahlquist
I will NEVER forget the phone call I got in January from my mom. I was headed to one of my clients in Eatonville Washington when my mom told me the news that my Grandma had pancreatic cancer. We all thought her pain and suffering from the November car accident when a teenager ran a red light while texting and T-BONED my grandparents hitting her side of the car was the problem BUT it was WAY more serious! I remember trying to HOLD back the tears of the thought of her leaving me!
I tried to compose myself again to go into one of my families for their home visit but the mom knew right away from my face that I was upset. For some reason I am not good at faking my emotions. You know when I am upset by looking at me. It took me most of the day to process it and be able to be composed enough to pick up the phone and call my grandma and grandpa. Like before in my post of her birthday party/reunion she told me how much she LOVED me, was PROUD of me, and thanked me for wanting me to be a part of her life.
In June when we were there for the Birthday Party I got up really early Sunday Morning to go and see her before they left to go back to Salt Lake City. I gave her a card and a little plaque that said Grandma. I hugged her, said I love you and I stood in the hallway and watched her walk away holding hands with my Grandpa till she disappeared. I cried as she walked away. I felt strongly that that image and moment would be the last time I would see her alive. I pushed it away though, why would I think that?/!!! Of course I would see her again! Like every time the spirit talks to me though, it speaks of truth.
That would be the last time I would see her alive. Shortly after her party her health slowly began to get worse. Doctors ran a bunch of tests and found that the Chemo was not shrinking the tumor and decided to not do anymore treatments. Over Labor Day weekend my mom went to see her. It was only 2 weeks after that and she left us to a better place. On September 14 I felt so strongly to call my Grandpa. I called him and he tells me with tears that she needs to go, she hasnt eaten, cant swallow, he has to carry her everywhere because she can not walk, and how much it hurt him to see her like this. We both cried together and I asked him to tell her I love her and to give her a kiss. Friday afternoon I got the call that she passed from this life into the next.
I cant help but smile to think of her no longer in pain and no longer be suffering. I cant help but smile to know that she was embraced by her parents, grandparents, friends, and her baby sister. My Grandma was a WONDERFUL woman! She was a person who edified Jesus Christ. She was charitable, honorable, loving, trustworthy and devoted her life to teaching the gospel. When you looked in her eyes you could see the LIGHT OF CHRIST. She was a great support to me in EVERYTHING that I chose to do my entire life.
I can remember being about 10 years old when she asked my parents and I to start a back and forth letter writing. My Grandpa and her would write my parents and I and then my parents and I would write her and my grandpa a letter. We did that till I graduated from High school and then when I left for college we continued the letter writing. There were a few years where I was not in the letter circle but as soon as Ryan and I got married I got on the ball again and the last 8 years I have enjoyed receiving letters from both my grandma and grandpa every month. She so looked forward to them and her words of wisdom were so needed at times of despair the past few years. She taught me that FAITH is hard but you must keep going. True happiness is following the commandments. She never wavered and followed the commandments to a T. She would remind me that trials brought us closer to our Savior and it allows us to really understand the Atonement. She taught me to love everyone and accept everyone for their differences. I knew that her heart hurt for me every time she heard of my losses and how her words of comfort brought such peace to my heart. I know that she will keep her promise to me and it wouldn't surprise me if she isnt working out the issues of why I havent been able to be a mom right now!
I have been to 3 funerals in the past month and I am so thankful for the Gospel. I am so thankful for Eternal Families. I couldn't imagine not being able to be with those I love after this life is over.
The funeral was perfect! My grandma has been planning this event for years! She wanted everything to be set and to not put a burden on anyone. She picked out her Headstone and Casket for her birthday and Mother's day present. She was never afraid to die. She knew she had lived her life to the best she could and she had no regrets. It was really nice to see family members that I hadnt seen in a very long time. I was able to see cousins that I have only seen a few times in my life and start to build relationships with them. It was so nice to see my grandma's brothers and sisters and their spouses. It brought back memories of going with her to the Barney Reunions.
Here a few shots from the Funeral
I tried to compose myself again to go into one of my families for their home visit but the mom knew right away from my face that I was upset. For some reason I am not good at faking my emotions. You know when I am upset by looking at me. It took me most of the day to process it and be able to be composed enough to pick up the phone and call my grandma and grandpa. Like before in my post of her birthday party/reunion she told me how much she LOVED me, was PROUD of me, and thanked me for wanting me to be a part of her life.
In June when we were there for the Birthday Party I got up really early Sunday Morning to go and see her before they left to go back to Salt Lake City. I gave her a card and a little plaque that said Grandma. I hugged her, said I love you and I stood in the hallway and watched her walk away holding hands with my Grandpa till she disappeared. I cried as she walked away. I felt strongly that that image and moment would be the last time I would see her alive. I pushed it away though, why would I think that?/!!! Of course I would see her again! Like every time the spirit talks to me though, it speaks of truth.
That would be the last time I would see her alive. Shortly after her party her health slowly began to get worse. Doctors ran a bunch of tests and found that the Chemo was not shrinking the tumor and decided to not do anymore treatments. Over Labor Day weekend my mom went to see her. It was only 2 weeks after that and she left us to a better place. On September 14 I felt so strongly to call my Grandpa. I called him and he tells me with tears that she needs to go, she hasnt eaten, cant swallow, he has to carry her everywhere because she can not walk, and how much it hurt him to see her like this. We both cried together and I asked him to tell her I love her and to give her a kiss. Friday afternoon I got the call that she passed from this life into the next.
I cant help but smile to think of her no longer in pain and no longer be suffering. I cant help but smile to know that she was embraced by her parents, grandparents, friends, and her baby sister. My Grandma was a WONDERFUL woman! She was a person who edified Jesus Christ. She was charitable, honorable, loving, trustworthy and devoted her life to teaching the gospel. When you looked in her eyes you could see the LIGHT OF CHRIST. She was a great support to me in EVERYTHING that I chose to do my entire life.
I can remember being about 10 years old when she asked my parents and I to start a back and forth letter writing. My Grandpa and her would write my parents and I and then my parents and I would write her and my grandpa a letter. We did that till I graduated from High school and then when I left for college we continued the letter writing. There were a few years where I was not in the letter circle but as soon as Ryan and I got married I got on the ball again and the last 8 years I have enjoyed receiving letters from both my grandma and grandpa every month. She so looked forward to them and her words of wisdom were so needed at times of despair the past few years. She taught me that FAITH is hard but you must keep going. True happiness is following the commandments. She never wavered and followed the commandments to a T. She would remind me that trials brought us closer to our Savior and it allows us to really understand the Atonement. She taught me to love everyone and accept everyone for their differences. I knew that her heart hurt for me every time she heard of my losses and how her words of comfort brought such peace to my heart. I know that she will keep her promise to me and it wouldn't surprise me if she isnt working out the issues of why I havent been able to be a mom right now!
I have been to 3 funerals in the past month and I am so thankful for the Gospel. I am so thankful for Eternal Families. I couldn't imagine not being able to be with those I love after this life is over.
The funeral was perfect! My grandma has been planning this event for years! She wanted everything to be set and to not put a burden on anyone. She picked out her Headstone and Casket for her birthday and Mother's day present. She was never afraid to die. She knew she had lived her life to the best she could and she had no regrets. It was really nice to see family members that I hadnt seen in a very long time. I was able to see cousins that I have only seen a few times in my life and start to build relationships with them. It was so nice to see my grandma's brothers and sisters and their spouses. It brought back memories of going with her to the Barney Reunions.
Here a few shots from the Funeral
My friend Ashley from college came to support me. It was so sweet and good to see her
It was such a beautiful day!
My brother Shawn and Ryan
My family with my grandpa
My cousin Jessie and my grandpa
The girl cousins
My Aunts, Uncles, cousins, and my mom's Aunt's and Uncles
My grandparents fell in love in high school and were inseparably for almost 61 years. He treated her like she was a Queen her whole life. They were devoted to one another and I have always wanted to have a relationship like they had. It truly was perfect! Here are a few photos of her and my grandpa.
I miss her so much. The past week the image of her walking down the hallway in June goes over and over my head and I wish I could have hugged her one more time and told her one more time in person that I love her! I am thankful I have felt her with me and I know she is watching over me! I love you Grandma!!














Comments
you do some miraculous work's my dear karmann! you make lots of people happy and feel so loved. love you!